Lab Personnel: To prepare glass for disposal place all glass in a trash bag. Place trash bag in a cardboard box and seal with tape. Write “glass for trash disposal” on the box and leave next to trash can inside the lab. A custodial staff member will remove the appropriately sealed and labeled box from the lab for disposal.
Disposal of Glassware Contaminated with Biohazards for Lab Personnel
No material (glassware, paper, etc.) labeled “biohazard” should be discarded via trash.
- Chemically disinfect and treat as regular glass (see above).
- Prepare for shipping disposal in a puncture proof biohazard container.
- Ship via Stericycle (only researchers are authorized to pack and handle these containers). All sharp containers are shipped via Stericycle.
- If a container with a radioactive label is found in the trash do not handle the material. Immediately call your supervisor.
- Only researchers, Radiation Safety, and Environmental Health and Safety personnel should handle these waste products.
Lab Personnel: Empty drums can be disposed of by placing in the trash unless otherwise noted on the label. 24/7 Environmental Health and Safety contact number 974-9586