Landscape Services is responsible for the landscape maintenance and upkeep of the University of Tennessee’s Main and Agricultural campuses, as well as the Cherokee Farms site. The total area represents 780 acres of space on the Main and Agricultural campuses and an additional 200 acres at Cherokee Farms.Four groups make up the Landscape Services subunit: Landscape Management, Arboriculture, Turf Management, and Heavy Equipment Operations.
Landscape Management has nine crews. The university is divided into eight zones and each zone is maintained by a separate crew. The group also has one large crew responsible for mowing the turf and leaf removal through the entire university.
The nine maintenance crews are responsible for keeping the campus clean and beautiful. Throughout the year they:
- Prune and trim trees and scrubs
- Control the weeds in the landscape beds
- Apply fresh hardwood and pine straw mulch
- Install seasonal flowers in the spring and fall
- Aerate and over-see turf areas
- Renovate or remove overgrown or dead shrubs
- Install new trees and shrubs
- Create new and renovate old landscape beds
- Integrated Pest Management
- Trash receptacle service and litter removal
- Clean surface drains
To request Landscape Management service, please call the Facilities Services One Call number at 946-7777.
Arboricultural Services was formed in 2015 to provide tree care and maintenance services to the entire University of Tennessee, Knoxville campus.Services include:
- Preventive Maintenance Pruning
- Clearance of streets, sidewalks, fixtures and buildings
- Removal of dead and defective branches
- Removal of dead and dying trees
- Tree selection and planting
- Insect and disease control
- Tree preservation during constructionTo request Arboriculture service, please call 974-3486.
Landscape Services maintains a variety of heavy equipment through which it provides diverse services. Heavy equipment services include grading, excavating, trenching, demolition, street sweeping, storm sewer clean-out, hauling, asphalt preparation and repair, fence repair, general purpose welding, ice and snow removal, handling and placement of heavy pieces of equipment, and other miscellaneous activities. To request Heavy Equipment Services, please call the Facilities Services One Call number at 946-7777.
Horticultural and Landscape Services:
Horticultural services are provided by a specialized crew. These services include landscape design, planting, transplanting, pruning, tree removal, and greenhouse operation. Advice on the selection and care of indoor plants is also provided. To obtain these services, please contact the Horticulturist for Landscape Services (206 Facilities Services Warehouse Building, 974-3486).
Ice and Snow Removal:
Landscape Services provides ice and snow removal services for the Main and Agricultural campuses. These services are provided on a priority basis, with safety of the greatest number of individuals being used to determine the order of service.